Thursday, February 24, 2011

Welcome, Book Snobs!

There are different kinds of snobs out there. You have clothes snobs ("Anything from Goodwill is automatically garbage."), water snobs ("Bottled only, thank you."), movie snobs ("The character development was a little slow, and I thought the script was weak."), clique snobs ("Oh, she's really into artsy stuff, soo..."), etc. You can be a snob of just about anything. One thing I'm a snob about?

Books.

I love reading. My first word was "book." I used to follow my mom around the house when I was two, holding up a book and asking her to please read it to me.

When I was little, my mom picked out my books. She always picked really good ones, classics or ones that were by well-known authors. When I got to be ten or so, I wanted to pick my own books. My mom was fine with that. It was then that I realized something:

Not all books are actually good.

It was a strange revelation to realize that a book doesn't have to be well-written with well-developed characters, a tight plot, and good vocabulary to get published.

I haven't changed much in my expectations for books since then, except maybe I've gotten even "snobbier" XD I'm sure that keeps me from finding as much stuff that I absolutely love, but I think that's a fine. I'd rather know what a really good book is when I find it than think everything I read is amazing.

So I decided to start this blog for all the other "book snobs" out there :) Chances are you'll like things that I don't, but if you've been looking for someone out there who's just as picky as you...

I think you just found her.

~Kendra

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! Thanks for giving me the url. I can't wait to see your first review. Thanks for the compliment on my blog and pictures. I figured it was a good way to make me get the camera out everyday because I'd go a whole month sometimes without taking a single one last year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! I'm now a follower :) I should probably make myself do something similar with writing; my self-discipline can get pretty weak!

    ~Kendra

    ReplyDelete